Friday, March 2, 2012

Back from the Amazon -- did I miss anything?

For over ten days, I was travelling along the tributaries of the great Amazon River in the rain forest of northern Brazil. I was completely disconnected from society. No cellphone, no laptop, no Ipad. I had no access to Linked in, Facebook or e-mails.

It was great!

As I said last week, every now and then, it is really important to get away from the hectic pace and demands of litigation. I love the work I do for outstanding trucking and commercial interests, but I was glad to have the opportunity to get into the muck and mire to serve  some of the poorest people I have ever come in contact.

While in the Amazon, I was serving men, women and children who can do nothing for me. I may never see them again on this side of Heaven. How often do we take the time to do something completely selfless?

Hey, don't get me wrong: I'm no Saint and,  quite often, I am thinking about how I can win the case, pay my bills or improve my relationships with client. Yet, let's admit it: those pursuits are generally self-interest motivated.

I'm a advocate for capitalism and I would not want to live in a country where initiative and hard-work are not rewarded; however,  it's just good and right to do something occasionally (or often) for those who can do nothing in return.

Next week, I will get back on track with specific issues about the trucking industry.

One issue of particular importance is the growing trend in imposing liability on brokers and shippers in the trucking industry when they allegedly fail to investigate the reliability of a trucking company. Now with the CSA with us, you can expect this to be a major development among the plaintiff's bar so we defense lawyers need to get ahead of the trends and prepare winning defenses.

More on that later. 

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy some of the pictures from the Amazon.














No comments:

Post a Comment