Friday, February 17, 2012

Attorney Selection Checklist

For over twenty five years I have practiced law. I have had some incredibly difficult cases, difficult clients and difficult adversaries. I have also had great clients and admirable opponents. 

I constantly strive to provide the best representation that I can; however, there are times when I am no longer asked to assist a client and I am not sure why. Is it because of the expense, personality issues, the size of the law firm, loyalty to others? Is it because the "other guy" takes the client out to dinner or buys tickets to Lakers game?

I don't know, but I think the following is a pretty good list to consider when deciding on legal counsel I hope it gives you some insight and help. As always, if we can be of assistance in North Louisiana or Northeast Texas, please don't hesitate to call day or night.


Key Criteria to Identify and Select Counsel:


Integrity (May also be referred to as basic honesty.)

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. When you
make a habit of telling the truth, you don’t have to worry about
remembering what you’ve said. -- Mark Twain

Ethics

Hourly Rates

Understanding/Compliance of your corporate guidelines

Billing

Reporting

Retention Letters

Use of multiple firms in certain venues

Regional Counsel

National Counsel


REPORTING REQUIREMENTS

Initial evaluation and case plans

Periodic reports

Pre-trial evaluations and reports

Valuation/decision to try or settle

In-trial daily reports

BILLING REQUIREMENTS

Ethical Billing

Periodic billing time frames

Monthly

Quarterly
 

CASE STAFFING

Partner or Associate?

Partner to manage associate

Team approach

Partner

Paralegal

Associate

FEEDBACK FOR THE ATTORNEYS

Venues where you use multiple firms

Good or bad idea?

How to select case distribution?

Attorney Item


Loyalty– two way street!





No comments:

Post a Comment